Time flies when you are having fun… we published the first ever review of the Spark R&D Tesla system back in 2013 (https://www.splitboardmag.com/
spark-bindings-after-burner- tesla-system/), so now, four years later, we are beyond stoked to have the chance to test again a binding from Spark R&D, focusing on the new straps: the Pillow Line.
After two years of development, Spark R&D is proud to introduce the Pillow Line strap collection. Lighter. More durable. Comfortable. Waterproof. One piece molded construction. Made at Spark R&D in the USA (even the molds were made in-house!). There are two distinct designs for Arc and Surge ankle straps – the Arc with a smaller footprint and a flex window for max agility, and the Surge with a wide asymmetric footprint for incredible all around support. The toe straps come in one construction for both Arc and Surge designed to be used as a toe cap but also fit nicely across the top of the boot. All straps are ergonomically designed around 3D scans of popular snowboard boots. Pillow Line straps come standard on all 17/18 Arc & Surge, and are also sold à la carte as an upgrade.
New features on the Pro series:
- Our most flexible jacket and pants crafted for ski mountaineering
- Hybrid construction of breathable softshell and GORE WINDSTOPPER
- The perfect solution for high intensity and stormy weather
- Comfortable and stretchy construction
- Water repellant
- Jacket with helmet compatible hood to protect against the weather
- Pants flexible gusset to make a snug fit around mountaineering and ski boots
WHAT WE LIKED ABOUT THEM:
- Super lightweight, 46gr for ankle strap on the Surge, 40gr on the Arc. 16gr for the toe strap (same in both bindings). That means you’re saving a 43% weight on the Surge and 38% on the Arc
- Waterproof: They won’t take any on any water or snow, keeping the same weight in every condition.
- Comfortable. Same fit in any temperature since they never freeze.
- One-piece construction makes them more durable. No stitches that could potentially break.
WHAT WE LIKED THE LEAST ABOUT THEM:
- The Pillow Line straps didn’t have anything that we didn’t really like.