As Patagonia’s most breathable snow shell, the Reconnaissance Jacket delivers exceptional performance for high-output, muscle-powered lines deep into the backcountry or just beyond the gates. It has a supple, double-weave soft-shell fabric throughout the body, paired with a waterproof/breathable 3-layer shell fabric with 2-way stretch on the shoulders, arms and hood for a hardworking blend of breathable comfort and durable weather protection. A DWR (durable water repellent) finish prevents saturation and sloughs snow. To seal out moisture the Reconnaissance has fully taped construction, low-profile cuffs that adjust easily to fit under or over gloves and the Cohaesive® cord-lock management system at the hem and hood. Pockets include two self-lined handwarmers; two large chest pockets (one with internal stash and cable routing); and one interior drop-in for goggles, gloves or your flask. With an articulated fit designed for freedom of movement and an embedded RECCO® avalanche rescue reflector.
WHAT WE LIKED ABOUT IT:
- Highly stretchy and breathable material, crucial for splitboarding
- Chest pockets large enough to store your climbing skins
- its Regular Fit, long arms and body for improved comfort when riding, as well as articulated arms for freedom of movement when skinning or using the ice axe.
- Great adjustability on the hood, wearing a helmet or not.
- Useful interior pocket for goggles or gloves.
WHAT WE LIKED THE LEAST ABOUT IT:
- Although the fabric is highly breathable, in really warm conditions we missed some ventilation under the armpits.
WHAT IS IT USEFUL FOR
The Reconnaissance jacket will leave your old Gore-Tex 3-layer jacket sitting at home most of the days when going splitboarding . Its superior breathability will leave you speechless as you will be able to keep skinning without getting soaked in your own sweat. No more sweaty back while wearing your backpack when using the Reconnaissance jacket, and you’d still look like a snowboarder and not like a skinny skimo racer.